Club secretaries: you can now update your teamsheet appearances, goalscorers, red/yellow c ... continue
Stewarts & Lloyds Corby
Year formed: 1935.
Ground: Recreation Ground, Occupation Road, Corby, Northants. NN17 1EH. Tel/fax: 01536-401497.
Directions: Fround Oundle/Weldon turn at roundabout into A6086 Lloyds Road and continue to roundabout. Take second exit going over railway line along Rockingham Road. Continue over speed bumps and then turn left into Occupation Road and first right into Cannock Road. ground is beyond the Brtitish Steel club and rugby pitch.
Chairman: Keith Julian
Secretary: Dave Foster, 29 Tettenhall Close, Corby, Northants NN18 9PJ. Tel: 01536-746004. Mobile: 07969-188417. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Manager: Paul Ross. Assistant: Karl Binley
Programme editor: Dave Foster
Colours: Varsity red; change colours: navy blue or yellow and blue.
The club was founded in 1935 as the works team of Stewarts & Lloyds Iron & Steel Company and was soon established as one of the UCL's leading lights, finishing runners up in 1938 and winning the Northants Senior Cup in 1938 and 1940.
The formation of Corby Town in 1948 effectively split S&L in two with most of the existing staff linking up with the new club and an amateur set up joining the Kettering Amateur League. The KAL was won in 1954, a year after S&L reached the Northants Junior Cup final losing to Northampton Park.
In 1957 S&L joined the UCL and twice reached the Knockout Cup final losing to Kem[ston in both 1958 and 1960. After suffering relegation to the Second Division in 1966 they were revitalised by the appointment of former St Johnstone goalkeeper Harry Fallon as manager. Fallon steered S&L to back to back doubles in 1974 and 1975, the latter success accompanied by promotion. Fallon was the first winner of the UCL Manager of the Year award in 1974.
S&L's only honour in the top flight was a bizarre Knockout Cup success in 1987. After beating Spalding in the first leg of the final it came to light that the Tulips had fielded an ineligible player in their semi-final victory, and S&L had to meet Spalding in a one off final, winning 3-1.
S&L had earlier lost a Knockout Cup final to Kempston in 1977 and finished league runners up to Buckingham in 1986, an achievement which earned manager Jackie Phillips the Manager of the Year accolade.
In 1989 the club's future was under threat until businessman John Georgiou came to the rescue, changing the club's name to Hamlet S&L to reflect his Hamlet Circuits' company's involvement, which was to last three years.
Floodlights were erected in 1992 and S&L entered the FA Cup for the first time since the war. The club also notched up a 14-2 win over Brackley, a club and briefly league record score.
In 1996 S&L reached the Knockout Cup final but were beaten by Cogenhoe in a sensational match, conceding three goals in the final nine minutes to take the seconf leg into extra time, the Cooks eventually running out 7-6 aggregate winners.
A successful Lottery funding bid in 1997 saw the current dressing rooms and clubhouse replace the previous version.
Northamptonshire FA Hillier Senior Cup
Northamptonshire FA Junior Cup
Reserve League Cup
Reserve Division One
To remove highlight click on Clubs (top right hand corner)